Monday, May 2, 2011

Buffalo Steak, Asparagus, and Mashed Root Veggies.


Another sign that winter is finally coming to an end - the Winter Farmer's Market is coming to an end!  This week was the last week, and next week the first "regular" Farmer's Market starts up.  The greater Milwaukee area actually has a lot of farmer's markets, which is nice.  What's not so nice is that almost all of them are on Saturday mornings, and I don't have time to get to them all!
Most of the farmers that I met this winter are either going to be at the West Allis farmer's market, which is probably the biggest one in the area, or the South Shore Farmer's Market, which is right by my house.  My Buffalo farmers, however, are going to be at the Tosa Farmer's Market, which I don't think I'm going to be able to get to regularly.  It's annoying, because I've developed quite a fondness for buffalo.  The main thing I don't like about beef is the fatty bits.  According to my husband and Anthony Bourdain, the fatty bits are the best part, but I just can't deal with the chewy texture.  Buffalo has all the richness of beef while still being very lean.  It makes me happy.

I seasoned the buffalo with olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and minced chives.  I grilled the asparagus and mushrooms with butter, salt, and pepper, wrapped up in aluminum foil.  The potatoes are not potatoes (because I still don't have any!) but are turnips and parsnips, made just like mashed potatoes. 100% local, except for the asparagus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment