Monday, March 12, 2012

Fun with Learning

I had a nerdy good time learning today at the Wisconsin Restaurant Association Expo.  I took the day off of work - a legitimate day off of work so I can post about it on the interwebs for the world to see - and went to lectures on sourcing from local purveyors and food safety concerns when buying local produce.  The former was really interesting and I learned some new ways to get things I haven't been able to find - like grain and dried beans (I hate beans, so that's not really helpful).  The latter was boring and nasty, and kind of made me never want to eat anything again.  Apparently no matter what I do, I'm going to get some sort of nasty pathogen from my produce melons, peppers, and spinach.

But it was still fun.  Food to taste, interesting things to learn... not enough wine to drink.  Not being a restaurant owner, if I had had to pay the $35 to get in, I probably would have been disappointed.  But I didn't, so it was a good time.

If you're interested in spending $35 to learn about WI growers, the restaurant industry, and to watch a cake decorating contest, and if you have extra days to take off work, then I would recommend going to the restaurant expo.  It goes through the 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment