Thursday, April 21, 2011

Falling Off the Wagon Never Tasted So Good.

In my opinion, I have been doing really well in my locavore eating habits.  Not including things that were already in my house before starting, spices, olive oil, and wine, I haven't been eating much not grown locally.  Orange juice, fruit, yogurt, cereal... I haven't really been able to find these things locally.  I know that fruit will get better as it gets warmer, and I have a plan to try to make my own yogurt...

But today was a stressful day, and I cheated.  I'll admit it - I cheated.  I bought a portabella mushroom from the grocery store because I didn't have time to go to the farmer's market last week and I wanted a stuffed mushroom.  And I bought pasta from the grocery store instead of making it myself.  AND it wasn't even good pasta.  Plain, white, bad for me pasta.  According to Alton Brown, American Comfort Food is "in no particular order, ooey, gooey, cheesy, fatty, saucy, and starchy."  He was talking about lasagna.  But I think I've got all my bases covered too.

But that's okay.  I'm a stress eater and I admit it.  On top of that, I had my braces tightened yesterday (and I mean REALLY tightened), so I couldn't really eat much of anything.  I wanted mac & cheese, and I wanted a stuffed mushroom.  As I said in my first post, this isn't about me depriving myself, it's about thinking ahead, learning how to make more from less, and supporting local business. 

And I did make this meal as local as possible.  I used a new product I just found: Rushing Waters Trout Spread.  Rushing Waters is a trout farm about 45 miles west of where I live, and I have seen their products in the fish case at my local grocery store, but I've never tried them.  They also offer salmon spread (although the salmon isn't local), smoked trout and salmon, and fresh trout.  I haven't tried their fish yet, but am planning on ordering some. All of the cheese was also local.

Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite dishes.  I know it's not good for me, but it makes me so happy!  I have a secret, proprietary blend of cheeses that I use for my mac & cheese.  I call it: whatever I have in my fridge that is molding.  It's a great way to use up the cheese; just cut off the mold and go!

Trout and Goat Cheese Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Cap: 
(for 1 serving)

  • 1 portabella mushroom cap, washed or brushed clean - depending on your preference for cleaning mushrooms
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 3 tbsp Rushing Waters Smoked Trout Spread (local)
  • 1-2 oz goat Cheese (local)
  • Fresh Chives (from my garden!)
Remove stem from mushroom, cutting a small, shallow hole into the cap.  Drizzle mushroom cap with olive oil and season with salt and fresh ground pepper.  Stuff trout spread into the hole in the cap, and top with goat cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melty and the mushroom is soft.  Broil for 5 minutes until cheese gets a little golden on top.  Top with chives.

Kate's Super Secret Mac and Cheese Recipe
  • 8 oz pasta (I like shells because they hold the cheese inside of them... but you could use anything.  I don't know how I could possibly make shell pasta mayself)
  • 2 tbsp butter (local)
  • 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream - it's not like this is trying to be good for you.  Why not use the cream! (local)  
  • 2 cups shredded cheese - this time I used cheddar, Munster, goat, the brilliantly named Menage Cheese (it's a blend of cow, goat, and sheep milk), and a small block of a hard white cheese with about a quarter inch of mold on the outside of it.  I guess I can't guarantee that one was local.  I'm pretty sure it was cheese, though.
Cook pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water.  While it is cooking shred cheese.  Melt butter in a large frying pan and then add cream.  Cook, stirring constantly, until it is hot but not boiling.  Add cheese and stir until melted.  Stir in cooked pasta.

Some times, I will add more cheese and/or garlic breadcrumbs to the top of this and then broil until it is melty, but you can eat it as is too.  This is a very versatile recipe, and takes any additional ingredients well: chicken, sausage, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.  Whatever you want.  Just mix it in with the noodles and eat!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds super yummy except maybe for the thing you were pretty sure was cheese - that may be questionable, or even scary

    ReplyDelete