Monday, April 4, 2011

A little bit about me, and a recap of the week

So, while I have been MIA, I have not fallen off the locavore wagon.  Here's the deal.

I work for a University, and I work with the students in resolving their issues.  This means that times of the school year that have more student issues (midterms and finals), are busier at work for me.  Unfortunately, I attend the same University I work with - so these weeks are also the busiest for me away from work.  The University has 8 week courses, so basically I lose one week a month to school related activities.  Last week was midterms.  On top of that, my dance troupe, Tamarind, had a show and workshop this past weekend.  So there has not been a lot of cooking.  Here is a recap of my week:

Monday: Cheese Brats (from the winter farmer's market)
Tuesday: Popcorn (It's the dinner of champions.)
Wednesday: Pizza
Thursday: Chicken
Friday: Crab salad sandwich - I had a container of crab in my fridge from an early March attempt at crab cakes.  It was time to eat it or it would have gone bad!
  • crab
  • carrots (local)
  • lime juice
  • mayo
  • cayenne pepper
Saturday: Random things scavenged at the show
Sunday: Spaghetti

The Spaghetti was mostly local, I think.  I made a big batch and froze it in the fall.  I can't vouch for all of it, but I'd guess I did pretty well.

So, here's my recap:

Locally grown:
  • Cheese Brats
  • Chicken
  • Onion
  • Cheese
  • Potatoes
  • Salad Greens
  • Butter
  • Milk
Locally produced:
  • Brat Buns and bread - from a local bakery
  • Pizza - from a local, independently owned pizza place
  • Pasta - from the Amish people at the Winter Farmer's market.  I would guess that it could go under locally grown, but I'm not sure
Not local, but already in my house:
  • Ranch dressing
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Spaghetti sauce (I'm putting it here because I don't know).
  • Crab
  • Lime
  • Mayo
  • Spices
Not local items purchased (all used for lunches.  No dinner items... Should count for something):
  • Yogurt
  • Oranges (I felt like I was getting the scurvy!)
This week should be better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment