Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hey, I learned something!

One thing that I would really like to do is go to culinary school.  Right now, that's not an option.  But I'm working on it, so maybe someday (spoiler alert) soon.

But for now, no culinary school.  So I have started amusing myself by going to cooking classes at the Milwaukee Public Market.  And by "started" I mean I went to one.  But I'm supposed to go to another one tonight!

The class that I went to was on cooking ribs.  And, as we know from previous posts such as this one, this one, and this one, I love me some ribs.  But I've only ever made them in the crock pot.  Ribs take a long-ass time, and I just have too much to do.  I know that "grilling" is not "barbecuing," and since I have a grill I assumed I did not have a barbecue.  What I learned from this cooking class is that I am wrong.  I CAN barbecue.  Go team me!

Of course, now I need cooking toys for my newly found BBQ abilities.  I'm thinking about a wood chip box, and a stand that I can put a chicken on to make beer can chicken.  Like a beer can, only from Williams-Sonoma.  This may be why I never have any extra money...

Anyway, I made ribs.  They were delicious, but a little chewy.  I think that I cooked them too hot at first, because they started to char a little and then I turned the heat even further down.  On top of that, I think I might not have cooked them quite long enough.  I'm not a BBQ expert, though, so I will have to keep trying.  What a pity.

Much of this recipe was taken from the class, with a few changes to make it a little more local:

Honey Ribs
  • 2 racks pork spare ribs
  • Juice of 1 orange
Spice Rub:
  • Zest of 1/2 orange
  • 2 tbsp honey (L)
  • 1 chopped garlic scape (2-3 tbsp) (L)
  • 1/2 minced dried Thai chili (L* from last year), or any hot chili
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 2 tbsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp allspice
  • 1 sprig rosemary, minced (L*)
  • 2 sprigs thyme, minced (L*)
Mop Sauce:
  • 1/4 cup honey (L)
  • 1/4 cup champagne vinigar
  • 1 bottle (12 oz) beer (L) - I used Leinenkugel's Summer Shanty
Rub orange juice into ribs.  Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.  Because I was moving slowly (it was crazy hot and I had danced the four days previous in the hot, hot sun) it took me 30 minutes to put together the rub.

Combine all rub ingredients and rub into ribs.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.


Grill ribs over indirect heat, about 200-250 degrees.  I accomplished this by putting the ribs over the middle two burners of my four burner grill and turning on the outside burners.  I was told that you should also put a pan underneath the ribs to catch any drippings, but I couldn't figure out how to get the grill rack out.  Baste the ribs with the mop sauce every 30 minutes, and cook until ribs are "done."  They should be tender, but not quite falling off the bone.  I don't think 3 hours was enough, but you might have better luck depending on your particular ribs.

I served this with a tomato mozzarella salad and coleslaw.

Green Coleslaw:


  • 1/4 green cabbage head, sliced thinly (L)
  • 1 kohlrabi bulb, julianned (L*)
  • 1/2 large red onion, sliced thinly (L)
  • 4 Tbs. white vinegar
  • 4 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1/2 tea. mustard powder
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced (L)
  • dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tbl. sugar
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  •   mayonnaise to taste
Combine cabbage, kohlrabi, and onion.  In a second bowl, combine all additional ingredients except mayonnaise.  Add to cabbage/onion and stir to combine.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Just before serving, add mayonnaise until the whole thing starts to just be a little creamy.  Frankly, I don't enjoy over mayonnaised coleslaw.  I think I used about 1/4 cup.

1 comment:

  1. sounds amazingly delicious! We too love pork ribs, have tried many different methods,the one we use now is very convient time wise,and comes out juicy,moist tender.They are actually a combination of oven roasting and steam cooking. here is the site....
    http://delicioushouse.blogspot.com/2009/07/juicy-tender-oven-roasted-barbecue-baby.html

    ReplyDelete