Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jobs I think should be invented...

I went out for dinner last night with my husband and a friend, and we ate at Honeypie - a restaurant not that far from our house that focuses on using local food.  Their specialty - pie.  And it is GOOD pie.  As we were contemplating the plethora of pie choices before us, it was suggested that the restaurant should have a pie sommelier.  Someone who could try all the pies, and pair them with a perfect beverage.  Sign me up!

Another job that I would like to have is Williams-Sonoma tester.  They could just send me their products, and I could test them and make sure they work right.  That way, I could have all their fancy things and NOT spend my entire paycheck at Williams-Sonoma.

One thing that I would like to test first is their fancy outdoor oven.  I do live in WI, so 11.5 months out of the year I would prefer to have my indoor oven running, but occasionally it gets really, really, REALLY hot here.  (really).  This past week has been one of those times.  And I would have used the crap out of that oven.

One of the main problems with me wanting things from Williams-Sonoma, is that most of them are things that I could easily use something else for - something that I could get for cheap.  Or free.  For example, the Chicken Roaster for the grill.  They call it Beer Butt Chicken for a reason here, people.  You stick a beer can up the chicken's butt.  Why am I paying $24.95 for a beer can with no beer in it!  But do I want it?  You bet I do!  Why?  Because William-Sonoma has cast a spell on me and I want to buy everything they sell regardless of it's functional use and/or whether or not I can get the same thing at World Market for 1/10th the price.

Same thing is true of the oven.  I have an outdoor oven.  It's called a grill.  And, what I learned in my last post, is that indirect heat basically turns my grill into an oven. 

So I decided to be adventurous.  But not too adventurous, because I don't want to burn my new grill down too...

My first thought was a pie.  But pies are hard enough normally.  I have had a lot of problem with pies in the past.  So, I decided to go with the poor man's pie: A crisp!

Grilled Rhubarb Crisp:

  • 4 cups Rhubarb, chopped about 1/2 inch thick (L*)
  • 1 tbsp flour (L)
  • 1/2 cup honey (L)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt 
  • 1 tbsp water (L I guess...)
  • 6 tbsp butter (L)
  • 6 tbsp flour (L)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • Butter for greasing pan (L)
Pre-heat your grill to 350 degrees.  If at all possible, use indirect heat.  I have a four burner grill, and had to turn the outside burners to high and the inside burners to low.  Place a pizza stone on the grill over the area that isn't receiving direct heat. 

Lightly grease the inside of a 10x6x2 inch glass baking dish.  In the baking dish, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Cream butter, flour, and brown sugar, then stir in oats.  Sprinkle over the top of the rhubarb.

Place baking dish on pizza stone and cook for approximately 40 minutes.  Make sure you keep an eye on the grill, as it may not maintain an even temperature like an oven would.  This is especially true if it starts to rain... like it did for me.

I served this over strawberry rhubarb ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment