Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fear Leads to Anger, Anger Leads to Hate....

And hate, as we all know leads to the dark side.

I was cranky.  It happens.  It wasn't the right thing to do.

Not that I disagree with anything I wrote, but it could have been easily written without addressing it at anyone - anonymous or not.  I was angry.  I thought I was justified.  I probably wasn't.

Here's the problem, though.  I was so busy being angry that I almost missed my deadline for the cherry contest.  And that, really, is the dark side.  I was so pissed off that the only reason I DIDN'T miss the deadline was because I wrote it down wrong.  Not cool.  Not useful.  Well, sort of useful because I'm a nerd and enjoy writing a good research paper, but other than that, not useful.

So, basically, I'm sorry.  It wasn't appropriate, and it didn't do any good.  Plus, it could have done a lot of bad.  Not just in terms of missing the cherry contest.

But, thankfully, the contest did not end on 2/12 as I wrote down in my calendar, but actually ended today, so I got a chance to turn mine in.  I find out by the end of the day tomorrow if I'm one of the five finalists.  It sounded like they got a lot of entries, so I'm not holding my breath, but it was fun anyway.

When I started creating this recipe, I really thought that the star was going to be the steak, but it ended up being the kohl slaw, which tasted so much like summer.  It was the perfect mid-winter pick-me-up.  I also like that this recipe can be done with a very inexpensive, often overlooked cut of meat.  I used a buffalo flank steak.

I don't know how this happened, but I can't find a picture.  I remember taking one, but it has vanished.  Lame.

(**UPDATE 2/22:  MKEfoodie and Cherryland's best were awesome enough to provide a picture for me!  Also, I TOTALLY WON THIS CONTEST!!!!  My first food contest win - not at work - ever!)



Cherry Marinated Steak Sandwiches, with Cherry Kohl(rabi) Slaw
(Serves 4)


   • 1 flank, skirt, or flat iron steak, about 1/2 lb
   • crusty buns or rolls



For the Marinade:

   • 1 cup CherryLand's Best 100% Cherry Juice
   • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
   • 1 tbsp honey
   • 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
   • 1 shallot, minced
   • 2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
   • 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper



For the Kohl(rabi) Slaw

   • 1 cup julianned kohlrabi
   • 1 cup julianned carrots
   • 1/2 cup CherryLand's Best Dried Tart Cherries
   • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
   • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
   • 2 tbsp mayonnaise (or more if you prefer a creamier kohl slaw)
   • 1 tbsp Cherry Land's Best 100% CherryJuice

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup cherry juice, red wine vinegar, and honey, and whisk until well combined. Add remaining ingredients, and continue to whisk.

Place the steak in a large zip-top bag, and pour the marinade over the top. Seal the back, pressing out any air (helpful hint! Use a straw to suck excess air out of the bag) and then mush the steak around gently to insure all sides of the meat are in contact with the marinade. Place the bag into a large bowl to catch any possible leaks, and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.

In a large bowl, combine kohlrabi, carrots, cherries, and onion. Season with salt and pepper, and mix to combine. Add mayonnaise and cherry juice, and stir gently until well incorporated. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary. Allow to sit, refrigerated, to allow flavors to combine.

Once you are ready to cook the meat, preheat a grill or broiler to high heat. Prepare a double thickness of aluminum foil, large enough to fully wrap the meat. Season the meat generously with salt on both sides immediately before cooking.  Cook at as high as heat possible (with the grill as close to the flames as possible, or with the broiler rack set as close to the broiler) for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. The goal is to brown the meat as quickly as possible, without cooking int all the way through. Then transfer to the foil, wrap tightly, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. The meat will continue to cook during this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment