Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chowdah! (Part 2)

Despite what the lameness of yesterday's post might suggest, I really do love Boston.  It's been warm but not hot so far for our visit, it's clean, and the people are friendly.  But it still has that awesome big city vibe.  Yesterday, Jeff and I walked almost the entire freedom trail - which I would highly recommend except don't go over the bridge because it's a long walk to anything after you go over the bridge and, frankly, in my opinion, it's not worth it.  We also had lunch at the oldest restaurant in America, the Union Oyster House, which also wasn't really worth it.  Basically, a tourist trap with average food.  Even the oysters didn't really do it for me.  They were fine, but over priced and not great.  We then went to the Aquarium, which I love!  I love an aquarium.  Too bad for Jeff, because he's pretty much like "oh, look, it's anther fish..." Aquariums also tend to make me hungry, which is kind of creepy if you think about it.  From there, we were off to find oyster shooters to celebrate the rapture not arriving.  Then, we took a tour of the graveyards and other haunted places in Boston which, while not as scary as the tour guide seemed to think it was, was interesting and educational (in a good way!)  Finally, off to Sel de la Terre, one of Boston's restaurants focusing in locally sourced food. 

One of the most exciting things I've learned about Boston so far is that the University of Boston offers a Masters of Liberal Arts in Gastronomy, with a focus in History and Culture.  Classes include the Archaeology of food in Ancient Times, Geography of Hunger and Poverty, Cookbooks and History, Agricultural History: a Survey of Agriculture from the Pre-Historic Period to the Modern Period, and, possibly my favorite, a Comprehensive Survey of Wine, Spirits, and Beer!

I want in.  Okay, maybe not right now, but I really enjoy school and I don't think I'm ready to be done.  And this seems crazy interesting.  I've thought about getting a culinary degree, but something seems backwards about going from my MBA to a A.A.S.  At least this way I wouldn't be going backward in degree levels.  Which isn't to say that I won't also get my culinary degree some day.  I just need more monies!

If any generous benefactors are reading this out there, I'm not above donations :)

Jeff's fish at the Union Oyster House

Very sad cold seafood platter at the Union Oyster House.

Shots of Jameson in an Irish Bar in Boston to prepare for the Rapture

Oyster Shooters at the Salty Dog to celebrate after the rapture didn't come...
Or possibly just no one was good enough to be taken...

 Sorry, dinner pictures didn't turn out :(

No comments:

Post a Comment