Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fish + Cheese = (a) Delicious (b) Evil (Cirlce One)

Check it out.  I like seafood.  I like dairy.  I like fish.  I like cheese.  They don't go together?  Says who!?  I did some serious searching on the internet for about 3 minutes and I could not find a reason why you aren't supposed to eat them together.  So I'm gonna.  Deal.  Plus, I can give 5 good reasons why you SHOULD eat seafood and dairy: 
1. New England Clam Chowder
2. Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp or salmon (or both!)
3. Seafood Etouffee
4. Shrimp tacos (with Chiuaua Cheese)
5. Tonight's dinner

This is something my dad has been making for as long as I can remember having teeth (probably longer...).  I did cheat a little, because it's not tomato season yet, but I had a few leftover from the Student Showcase meal, and I figured I had better eat them up.  (See My Top Chef Challenge Post.)  This meal is quick, fresh, and easy.  I think dinner was literally ready in less than 15 minutes.  And I do not believe in abusing the word literally.

Dad's Cheesy Grilled Fish
  • 4 fish fillets (I used Rushing Waters Rainbow Trout)
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced, including tender green parts
  • 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese - really any kind will do depending on your mood and the contents of your cheese drawer.  I used cheddar this time.
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
Season the fish with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle green onions on top, then layer tomatoes on top of the green onions.  Grill, tomato side up, until fish is cooked almost all the way through.  Time will depend on how thick your fillets are.  When the fish are about 5 minutes away from done, sprinkle the cheese on top.  Continue cooking until fish is fully cooked and the cheese is melted.  Eat, and silently mock all those who are "too good" to eat fish and cheese.  More for you.

The salad is simply some local mixed greens with fresh goat cheese and tahini sauce for dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment